Re: ProteanOS is self-hosting!
- From: "Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott" <pjm АТ nac DОТ net>
- To: proteanos-dev АТ lists DОТ proteanos DОТ com
- Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 22:17:52 -0400
- Message-id: <51D4DB50 DОТ 10304 АТ nac DОТ net>
On 2013-07-03 20:48, Patrick 'P. J.' McDermott wrote:
> I'll be adding a third stage to the bootstrap, to make sure everything
> works. The stage2 system will be installed and used to rebuild
> everything again. I'll see if I can then compare the resulting stage3
> binary packages against the stage2 ones. Differences in addresses of
> ELF sections, embedding of build timestamps, etc. may make that
> difficult or infeasible.
Actually, it looks like comparing the results should be pretty easy. I
just compared my current stage1 system to an older one, and these are
the differences in general:
* /bin/busybox - Expected because BusyBox embeds a build timestamp,
though that doesn't appear to be the only difference.
* Many files from the gettext package - Expected because I changed the
* /usr/lib/core-linux-eglibc/gcc-4.7/cc1 and
/usr/lib/core-linux-eglibc/gcc-4.7/cc1cplus - Expected because I
changed the C++ #include search directories.
* Every single static library archive - Expected because these are
archives made with the ar utility, which embeds file modification
* A debugging symbols file provided by libc.6-dbg - So far, I can't
* /usr/sbin/nscd - Likewise.
So I should be able to compare most of the stage2 and stage3 files.
Patrick "P. J." McDermott