ProteanOS toolchain and core-linux-eglibc port status - 2013-04-30

Hi,

Sorry for my lack of communication lately.  Work on the toolchain and
the core-linux-eglibc port has been progressing, albeit slowly.

I updated the eglibc package [1] to use SPF 2.0, opkhelper 3.0,
multiarch paths, and new upstream EGLIBC 2.17 sources.  As of version
2.16, glibc and EGLIBC no longer provide a copy of the time zone
database [2] (called "tzdata" or "zoneinfo"), so tzdata will eventually
need to be packaged separately.

I similarly updated the zlib package [3], as zlib is a dependency of GNU
Binutils and GCC.

I finally packaged GCC 4.7 [4].  The gcc-4.7 package should support
building cross compilers as well as it supports building native
compilers.  This package took longer than I expected it would, partly
because I was surprised by some behavior of GNU Make and the way it
manifested itself in GCC's build system [5].

Also, I've committed some bug fixes to opkhelper [6].  These resolve
problems I encountered with the eglibc, zlib, and gcc-4.7 packages.
Expect to see a beta 2 release soon.

I've carefully designed a two-stage bootstrap for the core-linux-eglibc
port (the first port of ProteanOS 1.0), and so far it is working pretty
well.  I should push details of this process to the wiki soon.

Finally, on a somewhat unrelated note, the font issues with the Web site
have been resolved.  Previously, the regular and bold M+ P Type-1 font
files were each 1.3 MiB in size.  And due to bandwidth limitations, the
ProteanOS Web site referred to Web font files made available by the M+
fonts project.  Unfortunately, the server that offered those files
didn't seem to support compression of the response body.  I've managed
to remove over 7,000 glyphs from the font files using FontForge.  (I
also noticed that the fonts are already quite efficiently made.)  Now,
the files are 50 KiB each (about 3% of their original size) and are
served directly from media.proteanos.com [7].

[1]: http://git.proteanos.com/pkg/eglibc.git/log/
[2]: https://www.iana.org/time-zones
[3]: http://git.proteanos.com/pkg/zlib.git/log/
[4]: http://git.proteanos.com/pkg/toolchains/gcc-4.7.git/log/