ProteanOS toolchain and core-linux-eglibc port status - 2013-04-30

Sorry for my lack of communication lately.  Work on the toolchain and   
the core-linux-eglibc port has been progressing, albeit slowly.         
I updated the eglibc package [1] to use SPF 2.0, opkhelper 3.0,         
multiarch paths, and new upstream EGLIBC 2.17 sources.  As of version   
2.16, glibc and EGLIBC no longer provide a copy of the time zone        
database [2] (called "tzdata" or "zoneinfo"), so tzdata will eventually 
need to be packaged separately.                                         
I similarly updated the zlib package [3], as zlib is a dependency of GNU
Binutils and GCC.                                                       
I finally packaged GCC 4.7 [4].  The gcc-4.7 package should support     
building cross compilers as well as it supports building native         
compilers.  This package took longer than I expected it would, partly   
because I was surprised by some behavior of GNU Make and the way it     
manifested itself in GCC's build system [5].                            
Also, I've committed some bug fixes to opkhelper [6].  These resolve    
problems I encountered with the eglibc, zlib, and gcc-4.7 packages.     
Expect to see a beta 2 release soon.                                    
I've carefully designed a two-stage bootstrap for the core-linux-eglibc 
port (the first port of ProteanOS 1.0), and so far it is working pretty 
well.  I should push details of this process to the wiki soon.          
Finally, on a somewhat unrelated note, the font issues with the Web site
have been resolved.  Previously, the regular and bold M+ P Type-1 font  
files were each 1.3 MiB in size.  And due to bandwidth limitations, the 
ProteanOS Web site referred to Web font files made available by the M+  
fonts project.  Unfortunately, the server that offered those files      
didn't seem to support compression of the response body.  I've managed  
to remove over 7,000 glyphs from the font files using FontForge.  (I    
also noticed that the fonts are already quite efficiently made.)  Now,  
the files are 50 KiB each (about 3% of their original size) and are     
served directly from [7].


Patrick "P. J." McDermott